Tuesday 14 October 2014

We're Only Here For The Banter - Oxford Coast


Last week we discovered a gorgeous track, Lone Wolf,  by singer-songwriter Oxford Coast.  We loved it so much that we even blogged about it and then played it on the radio.  This week though, I caught up with the man behind Oxford Coast, Mr Chris Latham, for some good ol' Scottish Fiction banter.

Hello! How the devil are you?

Very well thanks.  Still reeling from the fact that you made my song Lone Wolf  your 'jam' the other day - thanks for that! (Ed. - Shucks) 

The song can be downloaded for free here and there’s also a music video for it if you want to see me strutting around in a leather jacket.

It's the question everyone hates, but could you illuminate our readers with a little bit about your music and your influences?

The songs I enjoy the most have a lot of emotional depth to them, both lyrically and musically, and that’s definitely something I try to incorporate into my own sound.   Influences are far too many to list but the lyrics and passion of Davey MacManus definitely deserves a mention.   His work with The Crimea is a constant source of inspiration to me.

What's your song-writing / creative process like?

It usually starts with some sort of emotional turmoil and then taking the resulting creative energy and trying to craft a pop song with it.  It’s a true labour of love and it’s a rare but amazing feeling when it all comes together to produce something exciting.

What could we expect to see from a live show?

Hmm…  At the moment my live performances are pretty stripped down, but that’s just out of necessity because I don’t have a band right now.  I think my songs benefit from quite a full sound and I’d definitely like to do a bit more gigging...  So if anyone out there wants to come tour Oxford Coast with me then give me a shout!

What else have you got planned for the rest of 2014?

I'm working on a new song at the moment that I'd like to get out in a couple of weeks.  It's pretty different from Lone Wolf  but I think it's equally strong so I'm excited to get it out there and see what the reaction is.

What are you listening to at the moment?

I’m currently enjoying Manchester Orchestra’s latest release, Hope.  Everyone should give it a listen.

Thanks for speaking with us, would you care to share a joke with us?


Thanks for having me!  And here you go.



Check out more from Oxford Coast

Facebook          Website


No comments:

Post a Comment