Tuesday 6 March 2012

We're Only Here For The Banter - Julia And The Doogans


Some people just make really lovely music.  Julia And The Doogans are those people.  Julia's idyllic voice is backed by the classic and orchestral sounds of Jennifer, Renata and Alice.  Their music is pop, but done the way it should be creating blissful melodies and warm fuzzy feelings in stomachs across the land.  Julia was kind enough to have a little chat.

Hello, how are you?

Hello, I'm great thanks very much for asking.

It's the question everyone hates, but could you tell us a little bit about your music and your influences?

The music is simple pop which definitely has folk influences but for the majority of it, its pop. Influences are just great songwriters regardless of their genre. I think as a unit, each of us has similar tastes and different tastes. The girls have a classical/trained background and bring a lot of that into rehearsals and the music.

What's your song writing process like?

I write the songs to start with and then once they're finished or at least half finished (first verse and chorus done), we sit together and work out the parts. This is done by either myself singing what's inside my head or us all working out what sounds best together. I write a song by just playing the guitar and once a melody comes, I figure out a sentiment and what I want to say.

What could we expect to see from a live show?

4 friends playing music together and a piano with fairy lights around it. And maybe a table with free cakes.

If it were all to end tomorrow, what would you say has been your greatest achievement?

I'd say my greatest achievement is the whole of Julia And The Doogans and every step we've taken no matter how small its considered. I think back to the 14 year old me and know that wee idiot would be impressed.

What have you got planned for 2012?

Get EP number 2 out! And gig more and write more songs. Continue to love what we do and meet new people.

At Scottish Fiction we focus on new Scottish music, how do you as a band view the Scottish music 'scene'?

I hate the word 'scene'. I guess since we're a bunch of Scottish musicians making music we're part of it. From the outside, it can seem like a sort of clique. But it's like any bunch of passionate people - they'll either love what you do or not get it but I find the 'network' (I prefer that word), really supportive. Its always nice to meet people on the same page as yourself. Its even better when they're massively talented and you get on the same bill as them. (Beerjacket: I'm looking at you!).

What other Scottish artists would you recommend to the Scottish Fiction readers?

There's so many to choose from but here's a small handful: Beerjacket, Michael Cassidy, Laki Mera, Esperi, Little Fire, Amber Wilson, Shambles Miller, Emily Scott and Sarah J Stanley.

Thanks for speaking with us, would you care to share a joke with us?

I once got banned from posting on a fashion forum because my threads weren't cool enough.

Check out more from Julia And The Doogans

Facebook     Twitter     Website

No comments:

Post a Comment